i came up with this recipe on a whim when trying to figure out something to bring as a side dish to a family gathering. i thought about the typical potato salad or fruit salad, but wanted to make something different.
i think i succeeded. this salad was light and refreshing and super easy to make! (oh, and for all you veggie/vegan heads out there, it’s friendly for you too!)
typically acini di pepe pasta is used to make sweet salads usually with pineapple. i think it worked quite nicely in this savory dish.
1 box acini di pepe pasta (or any small pearl pasta or orzo will do)
1 cup red onion, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
16 oz. package of heirloom tomatoes (grape size)
1/4 cup newman’s own light balsamic vinaigrette dressing (you can add more or less to your liking.)
1/4 cup italian parsley, chopped
salt & pepper to taste
- cook pasta following directions on box.
- dice onion, green bell pepper, and slice all tomatoes in half.
- once pasta is done cooking, drain and rinse with cool water.
- transfer pasta to large bowl and add all ingredients and stir well.
- cover to cool in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
i hope you enjoy this light, summery pasta salad alternative!
printable recipe here.